about     shop     contact         

Monday, August 18, 2014

What I Learned from Not Shopping for 30 Days

Last month, I challenged myself not to go shopping for thirty days. When I first started this little journey, I thought it would be a cakewalk.  It was next to impossible.  Less than 24 hours after I started my challenge, I found myself on the checkout page of ASOS and Piperlime with a cartful of things I didn't need. After a few of those episodes, I decided to unsubscribe from every online retailer and steer clear of 5th Avenue. 

For the modern day woman, thirty days without shopping isn't easy. We're constantly bombarded with "buy this", "you can't live without this", "this year's hottest trend".  Always feeling like we "have" to own every trend that hits the runway.  Well, we don't.  We just need to learn how to make our wardrobe work with what we currently own. 

Here are a few things I learned from not shopping for 30 days: 

1.   I was absolutely addicted to shopping.  As sad as it sounds, It took me two weeks to focus on anything but clothing and shopping. 
2.  My closet is full of things I don't wear. Why do I keep all these things? 
3.  I have no strategy when purchasing clothes. 
4.  My wardrobe is lacking tops and blouses. 
5.  Black and white pieces are a great way to extend a wardrobe.
6.  The less I shopped, the more creative I became with my outfits.  I wasn't always depending on something new to show up in my wardrobe to put together an outfit. 

Now, with all that being said, over the course of the month I made a list of things I wanted to add to my closet. 



Fall Wish List


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! Olivia